Wednesday, September 16, 2009

ACORN and human trafficking

I am so incredibly ticked off right now, and quite frankly disgusted with most of the media and the government. Everyone is making such a huge deal out of the fact that they were teaching a supposed prostitution ring how to cheat the IRS, and while that is bad, that act pales in comparison to the act of ACORN helping with human trafficking (a.k.a. sexual-slavery). The ACORN representative did not bat and eye and even gave suggestions on how to help this couple in bringing and using under-age El Salvadorians into their prostitution ring and how to make more money off of them. Most of the news reports (aside from FOX) either barely mention this aspect or don't acknowledge it at all (I have been reading quite a few articles and listing to the news feed on the radio). The focus that the government and media has chosen just shows that they are more worried about money than people. Now, I realize that that this scenario was fake, but human trafficking is very real and very alive. I have contacted my state representative about this, please, each of you do the same. If you have not seen the video here is one of the videos you can watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtTnizEnC1U .
Human trafficking is a much bigger problem than many people think. You can read a little more about it here http://www.ovc.gov/ncvrw/2005/pg5l.html   and many other sites. While it is very difficult to get accurate numbers due to the secretive nature of the problem here are some figures. It is estimated that between 14,00-18,000 men women and children are trafficked into the US each year alone, within the country it is estimated to around 200,000, and many US citizens are trafficked out of the US each year as well. World wide trafficking is estimated to be  between 600,000-800,000 per year. This is a horrific act. While not all human trafficking is sex related (with the next highest reason being for labor), a good majority of it is. Please speak out on this important issue.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

First off - I love the photo of you two (at Bryce Canyon??)!! What a GORGEOUS and spectactular location for an incredible portrait. You can't get that kind of effect in a studio, for sure!!! How cool is that. Second, I sure appreciated your thoughts and emphasis on exposing the prostitution corruption currently swirling around ACORN and encouraging us to do something about it. That is excellant. Wish we were closer! We could rant together!! :) Big hugs to you.

Matt and Denise said...

Oh Kendra I would love to rant with you! I always appreciate the emails you send to me, letting me know about various current events :)