As I was preparing a talk this last week I came across a really neat quote from Elder Holland. I love it. I think we confuse perfectionism with becoming perfected through the atonement of Christ. Sometimes we think we have to be absolutely perfect right this instant, and therefore are often critical of ourselves, and we end up berating and belittling ourselves. We are children of God, we have a divine potential, and we are capable of so much more. That so much more comes from our everyday living of the gospel, daily making choices that draw us closer to God. We have so much to give, so much to offer, and so much to enjoy- we have the ability to live an extraordinary life by simply choosing each day to consistently living the gospel. While this quote is directed to sisters it applies to all.
“Sisters, we all need to believe in ourselves as God's agents much, much more than we do; activating the gifts and the powers he has given us as if He Himself were here. On the outside we may seem to be little people with everyday little souls with everyday problems, but we are the everyday instruments God has always used to do His work and perform His miracles from the beginning of time. This is that power of the atonement to which we pay much too little attention. Not only did Christ save us from our sins, but he saved us from ourselves, our horrible warped opinions and our negative little views of ourselves. That is the miracle of being reborn and spiritually begotten of the Savior as King Benjamin said, of saying that we are changed through faith on His name. If we say we are changed through faith on His name, then let's act like such a change has occurred.” Elder Jeffery R. and Sister Patricia Holland May 4, 2007 Women's Conference “What Time is It?”
Saturday, November 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
I love it, Denise! I've had a real interest on this topic as being perfect is mentioned several times in the scriptures and especially with, I think it was Elder Oaks, but my mind has drawn a blank, it could have been Holland, who said that "be ye therefore perfect" is a command and not a suggestion.
I have heard that too, but I don't remember who it was. I did a 1st Sunday lesson on perfectionism vs. perfection through the atonement a couple of months ago. I read some of the most interesting things- I'll have to send you one of the coolest conference talks I found in my search for info. When I found that quote I posted it reminded me of that lesson. My dad also reminded me, that God doesn't give a command without a way to accomplish it- including the command to be perfect. It's definitely an interesting topic.
Post a Comment