Saturday, March 26, 2011

Weapons of Rebellion

A few days ago when Matt and I were doing our daily reading together there were a couple of verses that struck me and have had me thinking quite a bit. We were reading in Alma 23 when Ammon, Aaron, Omner, Himni and other righteous Nephites traveled among the Lamanites to teach them the gospel. Verses 6 and 7 really got me thinking.

6 And as sure as the Lord liveth, so sure as many as believed, or as many as were brought to the knowledge of the truth, through the preaching of Ammon and his brethren, according to the spirit of revelation and of prophecy, and the power of God working miracles in them—yea, I say unto you, as the Lord liveth, as many of the Lamanites as believed in their preaching, and were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away.

7 For they became a righteous people; they did lay down the weapons of their rebellion, that they did not fight against God any more, neither against any of their brethren.

Obviously, it is the highlighted parts that caught my attention. In this life there are so many things that make it so easy to fall away, or to at least do things our way which put at least a little distance between yourself and God- maybe not anything too terribly bad, but somthing that is still not not that good either. The adversary is so tricky, and like I've heard quoted before, he may not be smart, but he has a whole lot of experience- thousands of years worth that we lack. That's why it is so essential that we keep our eye focused on the glory of God. It reminds me of that story about J. Ruben Clark when his daughter was going on a date and he reminded her of all the typical things a parent might remind their child- such as remember who you are, etc... When she responded with something like "Don't you trust me dad?" and then he relpied "No, I don't even trust myself". His remarks weren't meant to be insulting or disparaging, but were to serve as a reminder of how we must always be on gaurd. To do that we must have our lives centered on the Savior. And to do that we cannot do anything that would put or keep distance between ourselves and Him or the influence of the Spirit.

That of course leads to the question of what are my weapons of rebellion, or my favorite little sins? What am I allowing in my life to come between me and the Lord? Is it worth it for me to lay down those weapons of rebellion so that I become righteous and never fall away? In theory, absolutely. But do I find myself in a position where the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak? Is it a matter of pride that I hang on to those things? Or do I even realize some of these weapons of rebellion?

As I said before I have been thinking, a lot, as well as praying. I have discovered some of those weapons of rebellion, now it's time to lay them down. I am glad that fast Sunday is tomorrow and that General Conference is next weekend as it is always a time of edification and growth. Perhaps the spirit will aid me in discovering more of these weapons as well as help me to have the strength and the knowledge of how to lay them down.

So, what about the weapons of rebellion in your life?
Lost and Found- Greg Olsen






No comments: